Let’s see a show of hands here: who was totally weirded out by rice pudding or bread pudding growing up? Come on now, be honest!
All I know is that my first memory of either was that they were completely weird. I didn’t like them. I whined, I cried, and I denounced their creamy glory. I’m not proud, but I feel it’s important to be genuine on here. So there you go: I wasn’t always the perfect foodie!
These days I crave bread pudding like you wouldn’t believe, and just recently rediscovered rice pudding while thumbing through some of the recipes I unearthed in Oklahoma. It’s just part of who I am!
The best part of all? It’s made in a crock pot, so you can start it quickly before you start dinner (assuming you have already-cooked rice) and have it ready to serve shortly after. Oh, and you can make a healthy version too. Who says I never make anything healthy on here?
I mean really though, rice pudding is creamy, decadent, hearty, and completely filling. You can make it VERY unhealthy and you can make it extremely healthy – that’s completely up to you. But the fact remains the same: it’s delicious. I made a healthier version (almost vegan in fact! Mama Pea would be proud…) so I actually ate mine for breakfast, scoop of ice cream and all.
Dessert for breakfast? Sign me up!
- 3 cups cooked rice (you can certainly use brown rice)
- 2 cups milk (any milk will do)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten (I used flax eggs (1 egg = 1 Tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 Tbsp water) and they were fabulous)
- 3 Tbsp melted butter (Earth Balance worked great in mine)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla (I’m dreaming of adding vanilla bean paste one day…)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup each of dried cranberries, chopped dried apples, and chopped dried apricots (or choose whatever dried fruit you prefer)
Combine all ingredients in crock pot and cook at the high setting for 1-2 hours, depending on the consistency desired. Serve hot OR cold (whoa versatility!!!) with ice cream or just plain.
These women are changing lives; YOU can be part of it!